8 Easy Ways to Improve Your Life
Ever notice how simple things like having a warm shower, enjoying a nice cup of tea or thinking a small positive thought can shift your mood, even for just 5 minutes? These simple things can help prevent us from falling into a slump or help us get out of one.
The truth is, for the most part, we are in control of our life. And each day we can take certain actions to improve its quality. Try these 8 ways to improve your life and see for yourself the benefits you get out of them!
1. Perspire to greatness every day
We’re in an era where sweat is the new black. It’s what all the cool kids are up to these days!
It’s the secret antidote to all (most) ills:
- Trouble focusing? Sweat.
- Trouble sleeping? Sweat.
- Love life in shambles? Sweat.It will take your mind off things, boost your confidence, improve your mood and help you develop a new found love for your beautiful body!
Whatever your choice of movement - walking, running, jumping, lifting, Zumba, HIIT, Yoga, group classes, or all the above – be sure to spend some time every day working out.
2. Explore the mysterious realm outside your comfort zone
Going outside your comfort zone can help you improve your life in 4 different ways. It can:
- Increase your productivity. Going out of your comfort zone encourages you to work harder and do more. Giving yourself tougher goals and deadlines can push you to move faster and come up with more creative solutions.
- Teach you to better manage stressful and unexpected situations. According to Brené Brown, a research professor at the University of Houston, deliberately going outside your comfort zone teaches you how to deal with unexpected situations.
- Ensure you achieve bigger and better things. The more you step out of your comfort zone, the easier it becomes over time. As you push yourself, your zone of comfort grows larger, so things that were once anxiety inducing become easier, helping you go further.
- Boost creativity, inspiration and open new perspectives. If you are looking for a boost in creativity, inspiration and confidence, going outside your comfort zone may be exactly what you need. Putting yourself in new, slightly stressful situations, challenges you and can quickly inspire new ways of thinking.
Here are a few things you can start doing to push yourself outside your comfort zone:
- Wake up a little earlier
- Go on a weekend adventure by yourself
- Think of what activity scares you (but is still safe to do) and do that
- Set big goals for yourself and go after them
3. Have a weekly “Pamper Hour”
Have you ever seen one of those videos of a cute animal enjoying a relaxing bubble bath? That’s the feeling we’re going for with your pamper hour.
Once a week, probably on a Sunday, schedule in some time to pamper and groom yourself. Because you’re worth it!
This could be anything you’ve been procrastinating doing but will make you feel just that little bit more “groomed“ throughout the rest of the week.
How you can treat yourself:
- Paint your nails
- Get some highlights in your hair to bring out the *sparkle* in your eyes
- Enjoy some time in the sauna
- Get a fresh, new haircut
- Book an appointment for a massage
From time to time, you could also replace your night out with a mini spa day. And if it’s the high life you’re after, why not have both?
4. Acknowledge how #blessed you really are
Do you feel #blessed?
Being grateful is one of the greatest gifts you can give to yourself and those around you. Grateful people have been found to be happier, healthier, more productive and more successful. Gratitude may come more naturally to some, however, it is also something you can 100% develop through regular practice.
Here are 3 simple ways to be more grateful:
- Be grateful whenever you’re walking - While you are walking from one place to another, take some time to look at your surroundings and feel gratitude for the trees, the sky, your body, the air and anything you can think of. Some days you will be filled with joy and others you won’t feel much at all. Just keep at it and it will become easier.
- Write down 1 thing you are grateful for each day - Write down 1 thing you are grateful for each day. You can do this on your phone or in a notebook that you keep by your bedside.
- Start and end your day with gratitude – When you wake up, say thank you for something, anything. And before you go to sleep, say thank you again. This may feel a bit forced at first, but after a few days or weeks of practicing, it will start to come more naturally to you and you will really start feeling more inspired each morning.
5. Turn Up the Light
Sitting at the office all day means we may be missing out on some much needed fun in the sun. If you feel like you haven’t seen any natural light in a while, try to add in some sun time here and there when you can.
We are not recommending you to sprawl out in a bikini/mankini smothered in tanning oil! A more subtle approach will do the trick. For example, you could dedicate 15 minutes of your lunch break to go for a walk outside and enjoy that sweet Australian sunshine.
Not convinced? Sunshine can dramatically improve your mood. Studies have found that sunlight can increase our serotonin level, well-known brain chemical found to act as an antidepressant.
You can also try taking a walk outside before you start work. For example, walk to the train station instead of driving all the way. The natural morning light can help adjust your circadian “clock”, teaching your body that it’s time to wake up and make you feel more alert.
6. Just a 5 minute tidy up
Studies have found that a clean home and bedroom can impact so many parts of your life.
A daily 5 minutes is all it takes to do a little tidy up of your room or do a quick kitchen clean.
Before you settle down for the night, if your room is a mess, instead of letting it annoy you for the next few days, just think that “this will only take me 5 minutes to clean up”.
5 minutes of cleaning can make a HUGE difference. Take out the rubbish, put your dirty clothes in the wash, put your clean clothes away, make the bed and organise any clutter.
If this doesn’t convince you, a 2013 study has shown that people with the cleanest houses were also more likely to exercise. It’s all about a healthy environment and lifestyle at home too!
7. Eat Out Less
Eating home cooked meals can save you money, improve your health and improve your mood. On the the hand, eating out too often or grabbing a lot of takeaways can harm your health and your mood. This is because restaurants and takeaway foods are often full of a lot of extra fats, oils and sugars. Plus, they cost way more than other healthier alternatives.
Here are our top 3 easy tips to eat in more:
- Pack snack food – Before you head out for a day of shopping, hiking or whatever it is you do on your weekends, pack a few snacks and even a healthy lunch. This will help prevent huge hunger pains and allow you to easily make healthy choices while out.
- Prep your meals – Plan out your week of food, lunches, dinners and snacks and cook most of it in one day, or just have the ingredients ready to cook for the whole week.
- Try a healthy fresh meal delivery service. A lot of us lead busy lives so we don’t always have time to cook. Here at Crunch, we use services like Food 4 Fitness meals which deliver freshly made, healthy meals to our location of choice. This makes healthy eating super easy.
8. Celebrate yourself a little more
We can be so hard on ourselves sometimes. It’s time we stop criticising and start supporting ourselves instead. Giving yourself just a little bit more positive self-talk can really uplift your life. Some ways to do this:
- Celebrate every win – Be proud each time you do something good, no matter how small. It will motivate you to keep on doing more good things. Writing your big and little achievements down daily or weekly is a great ritual to add to your life. Did you eat a healthy meal? Did you go outside? Did you find something to be grateful for ? Did you challenge a negative thought? Write it down!
- Debate your negative thoughts - Next time you catch yourself criticising yourself, take a moment to turn that negative thought into a more positive thought.
Improving your life is possible
The quality of our life can be improved so much by adding a few little habits here and there. Each of the things above can improve your sense of pride plus make you feel more inspired and creative. Start living a life of inspiration, love, health and happiness!
At Crunch, we live and breathe a healthy lifestyle. We want to encourage each and every person to reach their fitness goals the way they want too. Our world class personal trainers are keen to help you improve your lifestyle no matter where you are in your fitness journey.
Start today, get in touch with one of our Crunch Fitness family members who can book a consultation now.